Dal Fry Recipe
1 cup split pigeon peas (toor dal)
- 1 tsp Spice Tree turmeric powder
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium finely chopped tomato
- 1 tsp garlic crushed/paste
- 1 tsp ginger crushed/paste
- 1 medium finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp Spice Tree dal fry masala
- 5 - 6 sprigs finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp cooking oil or ghee
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 dry red chilli - whole
- salt to taste
- Rinse split pigeon peas (toor dal)
- Bring water to boil in a medium sized pot, add rinsed split pigeon peas (toor dal), add turmeric powder and 1 tsp cooking oil/ghee
- Once split pigeon peas (toor dal) turn soft, remove from heat and keep aside
- Heat remaining cooking oil/ghee in a separate pot, add cumin seeds and let them sputter. Add turmeric powder, dry red chilli - whole and asafoetida.
- Immediately add chopped onion, garlic crushed/paste, ginger crushed/paste and salt. Cook until onions turn translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add dal fry masala and cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add cooked split pigeon peas (toor dal), mix well. Add salt and water to suit required consistency. Cook for 2 minutes and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves and enjoy with hot cooked rice or rotis.